Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Popeye walks toward the hotel to pick up a tail on Charnier.
- Klein is across the street talking to someone, and Mulderig is in a phone booth, and Popeye goes ahead, watching as Charnier pauses in front of a display, clearly aware that Popeye is there.
- Charnier ducks into a flower shop, and Popeye spots him. For a while, he waits, but, growing impatient, he looks in. Charnier has vanished.
- Popeye runs to find him, scanning the city streets, and sees him descending a subway staircase.
- He jogs to follow him, but doesn't see him in the station, so he ascends to the street again.
- Following him back into the subway station (anyone getting whiplash?) Popeye rushes onto a crowded car.
- Charnier is at the other end. He sees the cop enter the car, and gets off.
- Popeye gets off too, and gets into a phone booth to call Mulderig at the hotel, saying he's followed him and no one else was paying any attention.
- He hangs up angry, while Charnier loiters, drinking orange juice from a small orange juice-and-custard counter in the station, as one does.
- Popeye gets a "grape drink" and the two pretend not to see each other.
- Another train pulls up, and Charnier and Popeye do a little dance, getting on and off the subway.
- In an attempt to follow him, Popeye gets off, but Charnier gets back on, waving goodbye through the car window.
More on The French Connection