- The scene switches to Maximus' farm, an incredibly beautiful place. All of a sudden, a group of Praetorian guards come riding up the lane.
- This is not good, but Maximus' son doesn't realize it. He looks on with excitement.
- The scene switches back to Maximus. He almost seems to have a premonition of what is happening.
- He finds his strength, and races towards home.
- The Roman soldiers race up the lane, and run over Maximus' son while his wife looks on horror.
- Maximus is still racing, and finally reaches the final stretch before home. As he enters the lane, we can see clouds of black smoke rising in the air.
- Maximus is too late. His horse falls over dead from exhaustion as he enters the charred ruins of his estate.
- He finds the body of his wife hanging in front of his house. He is devastated, and starts sobbing.
- Soon, we see their burial mounds, and Maximus is sleeping next to them.
- Somebody walks up, and picks up a nearly comatose Maximus as the scene goes dark.