Advertisement - Guide continues below
- The emperor's palace: Commodus is walking and complaining that the crowd loves Maximus for his mercy.
- It sounds like he's been sniveling.
- He realizes he can't kill Maximus. He wants to look merciful. He's frustrated.
- Senator Falco (David Schofield), who's sitting there, says every one of Maximus' victory is an act of defiance, and it's make the mob and the Senate bolder by the day.
- He tells Commodus to kill Maximus. Commodus won't because he doesn't want to make a martyr of him.
- Falco thinks for a moment, and then starts talking about a "certain sea snake" that has a very "unusual method" of attracting prey.
- It lies still, and lets its enemies approach and take little nibbles out of it, and yet, it remains still.
- Commodus sees the logic: he (and Falco) will lie still and let their enemies come to them.
- He orders every senator followed.
- Lucilla has been approaching from another room, and she hears Commodus' last remark.