Advertisement - Guide continues below
- In one of the cars is Ofelia, a young girl reading a fairy tale.
- Her mother, Carmen, chides her for being too old (she's eleven) to fill her head with such nonsense.
- They stop immediately when Carmen isn't feeling too well. Ofelia's unborn brother is acting up.
- During the stop, Ofelia finds a part of a statue: the strange face of a man. It's broken.
- When she places this piece, the left eye, back in its spot, a large insect comes out of the mouth and seems to look at her.
- Carmen scolds Ofelia for getting her shoes dirty and tells her that when they get to where they're going, she should call "The Captain" father. It's only a word, Carmen assures her.