Advertisement - Guide continues below
- A black screen.
- A quote appears: "Rejoice O young man in thy youth…." The screen tells us the quote is from Ecclesiastes 11:19.
- We knew going in that this was a war film. Sounds like this quote is here to reiterate the fact that life is precious, and you should enjoy your youth while you have it.
- The main theme of the film starts playing, and the scene opens on a very dusty airfield. We see a United States Air Force plane taxing as the film's stars are named.
- The back of the plane opens. A group of young men exit. Chris Taylor is among them.
- The scene shifts to a small cart with body bags on it. Two guys unload them.
- The new guys are shocked.
- A guy comes over and welcomes them to "the Nam," and orders them to follow him.
- Another group of guys walk by. They're haggard and burned out, and they make some cracks to the new guys.
- The last guy in the group looks pretty bad—dirty, emaciated, done with life. He and Chris keep looking at each other.