- Somerset shows up at the Mills family apartment and meets Mrs. Mills, who finally has a name: Tracy.
- She doesn't know his name, either. It's William.
- Mills has a first name, too. It's David.
- David Mills goes to play with the dogs while Tracy Mills finishes up dinner.
- William and Tracy have a nice little chat while she serves up a bowl of salad and a plate of dinner rolls.
- They all listen to jazz and drink wine, and Tracy asks William why he's not married.
- "Anyone who spends a significant amount of time with me finds me disagreeable."
- A subway train goes by, and the whole apartment shakes. That seems to be one of the many things Tracy doesn't like about the city.