Shakespeare in Love Scene 20
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- In her room, the now-unemployed Viola cries and won't eat.
- In the tavern, the now-unemployed actors drink and don't eat.
- Burbage enters the tavern, and he offers his theatre for Shakespeare's play, circumnavigating Tilney's closing of the Rose.
- Posters are put around town advertising the play.
- But now they don't have a Romeo. Romeo, Romeo, where art thou?
- She's getting ready to wed Wessex, that's where Romeo is.
- After church, Viola finds a flier advertising the play.
- The nurse distracts Wessex while Viola sneaks away.
- Will is backstage, dressed to play Romeo, and the play begins.
- The man playing the narrator as a terrible stutter, but he speaks perfectly when he takes the stage.
- That's one problem down, but there's another: Juliet's voice has changed.
- In the balcony, Viola takes a seat. She didn't have time to change out of her fancy clothes, so she really stands out.
- She overhears Henslowe say there is no Juliet, and she offers to play the role. The show must go on.