Shakespeare in Love Scene 21
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- The nurse calls for Juliet, and Viola takes the stage.
- Gasp. A woman on the stage. Everyone is in shock.
- Wessex, too, watches with surprise.
- And Will admires Viola from backstage, his face beaming with happiness.
- The play continues. You know how it goes. Mercutio dies in a duel.
- Will, as Romeo, battles Tybalt and slays him.
- Will and Viola perform Romeo and Juliet's final scene together before the big double suicide finally.
- The friar presents the sleeping potion to Juliet.
- And Romeo visits the apothecary, played by Fennyman, who takes his role very seriously.
- He presents Romeo with a poison.
- Cut to Romeo thinking Juliet is dead and drinking his poison.
- He dies and there isn't a dry eye in the house.
- Suddenly, Juliet sits up, and the audience gasps.
- She finds Romeo dead.
- She takes Romeo's dagger and stabs herself.
- The narrator closes the play. "For never was a story of more woe" (than fans of Saving Private Ryan when this film won Best Picture instead.)
- After a pregnant pause, the audience erupts into cheers and applause.