Shakespeare in Love Scene 6
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- At the theatre, Henslowe conducts auditions.
- Will says he didn't see any of them fitting the role of Romeo.
- One last actor comes in: Thomas Kent.
- "Thomas" is actually Viola in men's clothing.
- She delivers a monologue different than all the other actors.
- Will wants her to take off her hat. She recognizes him as Master Shakespeare, and she runs away before he can see her without her hat.
- He chases her through the theatre and the village. She runs fast.
- She gets into a boat, and Will jumps into another, ordering the rower, "Follow that boat!"
- A slow-speed boat chase ensues. If you're hoping for fast speedboats and explosions, you're watching the wrong movie.
- Viola returns home, and Will chases her right into the house.
- In her bedroom, Viola's snooty mother is wondering where she is.
- She enters calm and composed in her normal clothes.
- Will knocks on the door and demands to see Master Thomas Kent, the actor.
- The nurse says Master Kent is her nephew.
- Will gives the nurse a note to give to Kent, about the role of Romeo.
- That evening, Viola reads the notes for the role in her bedroom.
- Conveniently, her parents are leaving town, which gives Viola the freedom to dress as a boy and take the role of her dreams.
- Will leaves the estate as Lord Wessex gallops in on a horse.
- There's a party and Will is going to crash it.