The Sound of Music Scene 19
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Back at the von Trapps', the baroness is playing ball with the children outside.
- It doesn't look like they're having a lot of fun; everyone is pretty subdued. The baroness is definitely not Mary Poppins. She can't throw or catch a ball to save her life.
- Maybe she should take off the high heels.
- Afterwards, the baroness joins Max on the deck for some lemonade.
- Max jokes that she doesn't seem like the type to have seven children. The baroness gives it right back—hasn't he heard of a thing called "boarding school"?
- Max tries to get the kids to sing, but their hearts aren't in it—they really miss their governess.
- The captain joins them outside. Brigitta asks Captain von Trapp if it's true that Maria isn't coming back.
- The kids have lots of follow-up questions, including who their new governess is going to be.
- The captain announces that they aren't going to have a governess anymore—because they are going to have a new mother. He doesn't look 100% comfortable.
- The captain tells the children that he and the baroness are going to be married. The captain says they are all going to be very happy. Uh-huh.
- The kids don't look convinced, but they each dutifully give the baroness a kiss.