Advertisement - Guide continues below
- You get a glimpse of a police telegram; it shows that Constance and JB are under surveillance.
- You see a car driving, which is maybe supposed to be the police on their way?
- Anyway, cut to a ski lodge, where JB's telling Constance everything he remembers about himself.
- He went to Columbia Medical School and his name is John Ballantyne.
- He was invalided out of the army because of a nervous condition after his plane was shot down. He asked Edwardes to help him, and the two went skiing together.
- He says that he saw Edwardes go over the cliff, though the details are a little foggy (conveniently, since there are still a couple of twists left).
- The death triggered his guilt complex, gave him amnesia, and made him think he was Dr. Edwardes.
- Improbable? Sure. But that's the movies.
- There is some flirting, and lots of the love theme music.
- He asks her to marry him.
- But! Then the police show up. They say they've found Edwardes' body right where Ballantyne told them it would be.
- Unfortunately, he was shot.
- They arrest Ballantyne for the murder.
- There's a quick montage here of Constance trying to plead for Ballantyne's life.
- You don't see it, but he apparently confessed to the murder. She's convinced he did so out of mental distress.
- Ingrid Bergman emotes and then emotes some more. She promises to free him.
- That's a lot of melodrama packed into a minute or so of screen time.