Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Mitch leaps down to help her, and they both agree that the seagull was acting weird.
- We're a quarter into the film, incidentally; this is the first indication of the actual plot of the movie.
- Mitch helps her up to the restaurant; she seems out of it and in pain.
- But then, she comes around, and the two of them start bantering again.
- She learns he's a lawyer practicing in San Francisco.
- Melanie lies and pretends she didn't come up just to drop off the birds; she says she's friends with Annie Hayworth.
- She's not a very good liar, considering how much practice she seems to get.
- Mitch smugly says he thinks she came to see him.
- His mother comes in, and he introduces her and Melanie. If looks could kill…
- Lydia seems very suspicious, especially when she learns Melanie delivered lovebirds.
- Lydia isn't into her adult son dating.
- Mitch invites Melanie to dinner anyway and bullies her into accepting.
- Actually, she sort of equivocates—maybe she will and maybe she won't—but clearly, she will.
- Lydia's not happy about it. Not at all.