The English Patient Scene 22
Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Singing to himself, Almásy hikes across the desert.
- In the nearest town, he is stopped by a military checkpoint.
- He asks the soldier for a doctor and to borrow a car.
- The soldier asks him for his papers.
- Almásy tries to tell him that a woman is injured in the Cave of Swimmers.
- But the soldier wants his name.
- "Count Laszlo de Almásy."
- They ask him what nationality it is.
- Almásy tells them his wife is dying in a cave. C'mon, guys!
- He gets very angry and grabs the soldier, and another man whacks him in the back of the head with the barrel of his rifle. Ouch.
- In the cave, Katharine writes in the book by lamplight.
- The bulb flickers, and goes dark.
- Back in town, Almásy is being taken away in a jeep.
- They put him on a train of German prisoners to Benghazi.
- Almásy asks to use the lavatory, and when a soldier escorts him there, Almásy knocks him out and jumps from the back of the train.
- Now he's stuck in the middle of nowhere again, but he's used to it by now, right?