Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Back in the present, Almásy says Katharine died because of him. Because he loved her. Because he had the wrong name.
- But he did get back to the cave. Since the English think he's German anyway, he traded his expedition maps to German soldiers for a plane.
- That's the plane he took to the desert, where Katharine was waiting in the cave.
- Caravaggio says he planned to kill Almásy, but now he can't do it.
- Outside, Kip tells Hana he's being transferred.
- He is still very upset that his friend died.
- Speaking of dead friends, Almásy flashes back to finding Katharine dead in the cave.
- Hana comes into the bedroom, and Almásy isn't moving. Is he dead?
- No, he's lost in thought.
- But he tells Hana he will die soon.
- A toot comes from outside. It's Kip on his motorbike.
- He's leaving. Perhaps one day they'll meet again, at the church where he showed her the paintings. And he speeds away.
- In the bedrooms, Hana prepares Almásy's morphine.
- He knocks over the box of vials. Rude.
- Then he slides them toward her. He wants her to end his life.
- "Read me to sleep," he asks. And Hana weeps as she fills the syringe.
More on The English Patient