- Éomer and company come across the slaughter left by Saruman's orcs. They find the barely-living body of Théodred, son of Rohan's king, Théoden.
- Éomer returns and, along with his sister Éowyn, tries telling his uncle Théoden that they must take action to stop Saruman's armies.
- But Grima Wormtongue, a fellow as slimy looking as his name sounds, speaks to the very old and tired King, telling him that Éomer is a war-mongering fool.
- In fact, Théoden has already signed a document banishing Éomer, although this seems to be wholly Wormtongue's doing.
- Éomer is dragged away by Rohan guards.