- It's dinnertime. Older Rose narrates over images of young Rose sitting there, miserable.
- Suddenly, we see young Rose running away from dinner, sobbing and barreling into people as she goes. As she runs, she passes by Jack relaxing on a bench.
- She reaches the back of the ship and contemplates jumping over. She climbs over to the other side of the railing and prepares herself for a final leap.
- Suddenly, Jack is there. He tells her not to jump.
- He tries to get her talking and emphasizes how cold the water below is likely to be.
- He tells her he'd have to jump in after her, so he's hoping she'll change her mind.
- She does, and he starts to help her over the rail.
- However, she slips, and Jack has to grab her to prevent her from going into the water. Things are looking a little dicey, but she manages to scramble back over the side.
- Some of the crew heard her scream, so they come running.
- Of course, by the time they get to her, Jack's pulled her over the rail, but he's tumbled on top of her…which gives the crew the wrong impression of why she was screaming.
- Hockley and friends have now joined the pair, and the crew is handcuffing Jack.
- Rose finally manages to clarify that he was trying to help, coming up with a lie about falling over by accident and Jack coming to her rescue.
- Cal invites Jack to dinner to thank him.
- Cal comes to Rose and, in an effort to cheer her up, gives her a giant blue diamond called "The Heart of the Ocean."
- He is hoping she'll now "open [her] heart" to him.
- Jack and Rose are walking on the deck and chatting, and Rose fills Jack in on why she was thinking of jumping off the ship.
- The short version is that she and Cal are getting married…and she doesn't seem to want to.
- Jack asks Rose if she loves Cal, and she gets angry.
- She claims she's going to leave in a huff…but she doesn't.
- Instead, she starts checking out Jack's drawings and marveling at how good they are. Jack tells her the stories of some of his subjects.
- Now we're with Rose's mother, who's having tea with some other stuffy ladies.
- Molly tries to join them, and they try to avoid her.
- However, she follows them out to take in the air on the deck.
- Meanwhile, Ismay and the captain are talking about whether Titanic should speed up so they can show up early in NYC and really impress the papers.
- Oh, yeah. That's a great idea.