Advertisement - Guide continues below
- Scottie's first day following Madeleine gets off to a slow start. He waits outside her apartment, then follows her to a flower shop.
- Things get weirder when Madeleine takes her flowers to Mission Dolores, heading straight for the graveyard.
- She spends a long time staring at the grave of someone named Carlotta Valdes.
- Scottie's perplexed and keeps following Madeleine as she drives to her next stop, the Legion of Honor.
- Madeleine sits in the art gallery and stares at an old portrait.
- Scottie finds out the painting is called Portrait of Carlotta.
- Madeleine's next stop is the strangest yet: an old hotel in downtown San Francisco.
- Scottie watches her enter and open the windows of a room upstairs, but when he asks the innkeeper, she says no one fitting Madeleine's description is in the hotel.
- The innkeeper says a Miss Carlotta Valdes does visit the hotel regularly, but today she swears she hasn't been in.
- The innkeeper then goes upstairs to confirm, and lets Scottie see for himself that no one's there.
- Madeleine has vanished, and her car is gone.
More on Vertigo