Gray Old Kansas
- Dorothy and Toto go running down a Kansas country road, having just escaped the wrath of the evil Miss Gulch.
- She tries to tell Aunt Em and Uncle Henry that Miss Gulch tried to kill Toto. The adults are too busy counting chicks to listen, and blow her off.
- Sympathetic farm hands Zeke, Hunk and Hickory prove slightly more interested, while quietly showing traits that their Oz doppelgangers are rather famous for.
- Aunt Em tells Dorothy to find a place where she won't get into trouble, prompting Dorothy to sing the most famous song in movie history in the middle of her barnyard.
- (Take a moment to sing "Over the Rainbow," Shmoopers. We'll wait.)
- Miss Gulch arrives with a sheriff's order to have Toto destroyed. Aunt Em and Uncle Henry don't do much more than stand there looking sad.
- Toto escapes Miss Gulch's supposedly dog-proof basket and returns to Dorothy.
- Faced with hard evidence that grown-ups are useless, Dorothy runs away with Toto to keep him safe.
- They meet Professor Marvel, a traveling huckster who nonetheless has a soft spot for runaway children.
- Using his mystic powers of soothsaying (and looking through Dorothy's possessions), he gently convinces Dorothy to go back home.
- She arrives in the middle of a cyclone – nice timing, Dorothy – and gets bonked on her head while trying to find her aunt and uncle.
- She wakes up in the eye of the cyclone, which has conveniently picked the whole house up for a fun-filled game of Let's See If We Can Fly.
- Various Kansas denizens, two-footed and otherwise, come flying past Dorothy's window…including Miss Gulch, who transforms into an extremely Wicked Witch.