Advertisement - Guide continues below
- This chapter wants to give a little advice to the rulers and governments out there.
- First, it's important to rule with integrity and to be honest, straightforward, and all that good stuff.
- Try not to use the military if it's at all possible; if you have to, then use sneak attacks.
- It's best to not meddle too much in the affairs of other countries or the affairs of your people.
- The TTC is sure this is good advice because it knows what happens when rulers don't follow this advice.
- When governments pass a ton of restrictive laws, the people end up being poor and turn into criminals to survive.
- Also, if a country is super militaristic and all its people are armed, things get super chaotic super fast.
- If a ruler follows the Tao, he or she can avoid all this bad stuff.
- As a ruler, practicing unattached action, limiting interference, and decreasing personal desire will make the lives of all the people better over time.
More on Tao Te Ching