- Back at school, Victor gets a letter from Dad. It's not good news: it seems that someone has murdered his little brother, William.
- He leaves for Geneva immediately, but he arrives too late, and the gates of the city have been closed for the night.
- Victor lurks around the woods near where his brother was killed.
- He sees the monster he created for a moment. Aha! It must be the monster's crime. Obviously. Because the monster is ugly.
- No one else has seen this monster or knows anything about it.
- At home the next day (the gates have been opened by now), Victor finds out that Justine has been accused of the murder because she has a picture of Caroline in her pocket —the same picture William had with him right before he died.
- Victor and Elizabeth are the only ones who think Justine is innocent. Well, Justine, too.
- But Victor won't tell anyone why, because he's afraid to be labeled a crazy person.
(Click the character infographic to download.)