Beowulf Timeline and Summary
- Beowulf, along with a group of Geatish warriors, sails across the sea to the land of the Danes to fight the demon Grendel.
- Beowulf is graciously received by King Hrothgar and Queen Wealhtheow, who gratefully accept his offer of help.
- When Grendel attacks Heorot Hall, Beowulf meets him in hand-to-hand combat. Beowulf tears Grendel's arm from his socket, mortally wounding the monster.
- Beowulf is thanked by King Hrothgar, who bestows rich gifts on him and hosts a feast in his honor.
- Beowulf goes to sleep after the feast, but in his absence Heorot is attacked again by Grendel's mother.
- He tracks Grendel's mother to her lair in a cave under a lake and kills her with a sword he finds there.
- Beowulf returns to the surface with Grendel's head and the hilt of the sword that killed Grendel's mother.
- Beowulf receives additional gifts and thanks from King Hrothgar.
- He and his followers return to Geatland.
- Beowulf presents the gifts he has received from Hrothgar to Hygelac.
- After Hygelac and his kinsmen are killed in battle, Beowulf becomes the king of the Geats and reigns for fifty years.
- When he hears about a marauding dragon, Beowulf suspects that he will die fighting it.
- Beowulf tracks the dragon to its lair and fights it with the help of his follower, Wiglaf.
- Beowulf kills the dragon, but receives a mortal wound in the fight.
- He asks Wiglaf to bring some of the dragon's treasure to the surface to show him before he dies.
- Having gazed on the treasure and given his golden necklace to Wiglaf, Beowulf dies.
- Beowulf's body is burned on a funeral pyre by his people and a barrow is built on the site to honor him.
Next Page: Grendel Timeline