Bruce Springsteen's America
It's so boss.
When's the last time you met someone with the nickname "The Boss"? Yeah, that's what we thought. Bruce Springsteen is a national treasure, and in this course, you'll find out just what he thinks about that nation of his (spoiler alert: it's not what you think).
In this course, we'll take a close look at Springsteen's lyrics—dad rock and Garden State variety patriotism included—to see how this guy managed to build a career that's spanned over half a century.
Here's what's in store:
- Common-core aligned close-reading assignments designed to get you thinking critically about Mr. Springsteen's vision of America.
- Lessons that will walk you through his more notable albums, tackling the famous songs right alongside the lesser known ones.
- Activities and quizzes to keep you on your lyric toes—and probably have you tapping your foot to the beat.
Unit 1. Bruce Springsteen's America
In this unit, you'll become The Boss of The Boss, analyzing how Bruce's lyrics show us exactly what he thinks about the U.S. of A.
- Course Length: 4 weeks
- Grade Levels: 11, 12, College
- Course Type: Short Course
- History and Social Science
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?
Common Core Standards
The following standards are covered in this course:CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.11-12.1