A major major major major novel.
Catch-22 is 42 chapters of black humor, chocolate-covered cotton balls, dudes fist-fighting with cats, and some of the slickest wordplay around. As we read, laugh, and get super confused, we'll think about loads of Big Questions to find out why Catch-22 is considered a Great American Novel.
Through Common Core-aligned activities, guided readings, and loads of punny one-liners, you'll
- learn to define and recognize the elements of satire.
- discuss the tradition of the War Novel in mid-century America and think about how Catch-22 defied and changed this tradition.
- analyze the purpose of non-linear narration.
- close read the allusions Joseph Heller makes to everything from T.S. Eliot to William Shakespeare.
- craft original arguments about sanity and insanity during wartime.
Plus so much more.
And at the very least, you'll finally learn what a Catch-22 is. Only you won't.
*Purchasing by unit includes course material only.
Unit 1. Catch-22
In fifteen short lessons, you'll go from Catch-0 to Catch-22. Context will be key as we read our way through this classic war novel.
in affordable packages. GET A QUOTE FOR YOUR
SCHOOL OR DISTRICT
Subscribe for only as long as you need.
- Course Length: 3 weeks
- Grade Levels: 11, 12
- Course Type: Short Course
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?
Common Core Standards
The following standards are covered in this course:CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.11-12.1