ELA 12: British Literature—Semester B
Harry Potter and the Shakespearean Play
Shmoop is American, but when it comes to literature, we have to give props where props are due: across the pond.
Semester B of ELA 12 will beef up your knowledge of all things Brit Lit, with a boatload of interactive readings and activities. In this Common Core-aligned course, we’ll
- consider how Shakespeare can be seen in almost anything you read or watch today (he’s a little more modern than you think).
- travel from Dickens’s London to Joyce’s Dublin (they’re a lot farther apart than you’d expect).
- cap things off with a little J.K. Rowling (because no course on Brit Lit would be complete without Harry Potter, obvi).
P.S. British Literature (ELA 12) is a two-semester course. You're looking at Semester B, but you can check out Semester A here.
- Microsoft Office, Google Docs, or another word processing program
- A scanner (or access to one)
- A camera (a camera phone is sufficient)
- All other work can be done via the Shmoop website.
Course BreakdownPurchase units individually
Unit 8. Bleak House: The Doorstopper
Our choice for tackling Dickens? Bleak House. By the end of this unit, you'll know London better than you ever thought possible.
Unit 9. Wilde Times
Oscar Wilde's The Important of Being Earnest will introduce us to whole new—much less stuffy—world.
Unit 10. Dracula
In 1897, Bram Stoker took central European folk tales and turned them into one of the most famous horror books of all time. And that book—Dracula—is what this unit it all about.
Unit 11. In Pieces
Welcome to the 20th century, where things are done a little differently. Look no further than Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway and James Joyce's Dubliners (selections, don't worry) to see it in action.
Unit 12. 20th-century Poetry
20th-century poetry is headed your way in this unit, with authors like T.S. Eliot, W.H. Auden, W.B. Yeats, and other initialed gentlemen.
Unit 13. Harry Potter
That's right: you're reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in school. The end.
- Course Length: 18 weeks
- Course Number: 410
- Grade Levels: 11, 12
- Course Type: Basic
ELA 12: British Literature—Semester A
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?
Common Core Standards
The following standards are covered in this course:CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.11-12.1