Masters of Renaissance Art
The original ninja turtles
We all remember those classically handsome, irresistibly green TV heroes, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The only thing more impressive than their insatiable appetite for pizza was their decidedly awesome names: Donatello, Michelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael.
Obviously, it made tons of sense for the greatest caped crusaders known to reptile kind to be named after mega-famous Italian Renaissance artists who happened to be their own brand of art history hero. And why wouldn't they be? Those Renaissance Masters changed art more in 100 years than anyone had done before—or has since.
We decided to vent our fanboy love by introducing the world at large to the amazing accomplishments of these four masters of Renaissance art.
In this course, you will
- get the scoop on the Renaissance (hey there, humanism!) and what was so special about this Florence place, anyway.
- explore the techniques mastered by our four artists, including sfumato, linear perspective, and contrapposto.
- cover the lives and accomplishments of our greats, Donatello, Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Raphael.
- examine in depth the greatest works of art of the Renaissance, including the pietas, the Mona Lisa, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's basilica, and a whole host of Madonnas.
- ponder the tension between classical humanism and religious themes in Renaissance art (you deep art history lover, you!).
*Purchasing by unit includes course material only.
Unit 1. The Original Ninja Turtles: Renaissance Masters in a Half Shell
Your complete guide to Donatello, Michaelangelo, Leonardo, and Raphael and why they're important.
Subscribe for only as long as you need.
- Course Length: 4 weeks
- Grade Levels: 9, 10, 11, 12
- Course Type: Short Course
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?