Psychology of Influence
Simon Says: Take this course.
Nirvana might ask you to "Come As You Are," and Madonna might want you to "Express Yourself," but when push comes to shove, humans are crazy-inclined to follow the crowd. (How else do you explain your Furby collection?)
In this course, we'll enjoy some Social Psychology 101 and examine how we as humans change due to our desire to fit in and please the people around us. With assignments, readings, and Common Core-aligned activities, we'll cover
- why your behavior changes depending on who's around you.
- how we lose sense of our personal values when we're surrounded by a large crowd. (Hello, Mean Girls.)
- ways in which culture affects group behaviors and expectations.
- the differences between obedience, conformity, and compliance.
*Purchasing by unit includes course material only.
Unit 1. Psychology of Influence
This short course will teach you why "everybody's doin' it" is a persuasive argument. We'll cover topics like identity, obedience, conformity, cognitive dissonance, and false consensus. Come on...everybody's doing it.
Subscribe for only as long as you need.
- Course Length: 3 weeks
- Grade Levels: 9, 10, 11, 12, College
- Course Type: Short Course
- History and Social Science
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?