Gulliver's Travels Part 3, Chapter 5 Summary
"The author permitted to see the grand academy of Lagado. The academy largely described. The arts wherein the professors employ themselves."
- Gulliver spends many days at the Royal Academy in Lagado, where there are at least 500 Projectors (impractical students of science) hanging out and thinking.
- Their projects include:
- To take sunbeams out of cucumbers;
- To turn human poo back into food (ugh);
- To melt ice into gunpowder;
- To build houses from the roof down;
- To paint without sight, but according to the texture and smell of the colors;
- To use pigs to plough fields;
- To use spider webs to replace silk threads;
- To change the course of the moon and sun so that we can combine weathervanes and sundials.