Don’t be an oxymoron. Know your literary terms.
Over 200 literary terms, Shmooped to perfection.
Characters are the fictional people that populate the world of whatever book you're reading. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Monster from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
- Sula Pearce from Toni Morrison's Sula
- Salamanca Tree Hiddle from Walk Two Moons
- Mercutio from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
What about you? What are some of your favorite characters? And how are they developed? Check out our page on characterization for some ideas.