The Reagan Era
Cite This Page
| "There have been times in this office when I've wondered how you could do this job if you hadn't been an actor."
- Ronald Reagan, 198850
| "Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address, 198151
| "They say that the United States has had its days in the sun, that our nation has passed its zenith… My fellow citizens, I utterly reject that view."
- Ronald Reagan, 198052
| "Honey, I forgot to duck."
- Ronald Reagan to Nancy Reagan, following his being shot in a 1981 assassination attempt
| "The march of freedom and democracy… will leave Marxism-Leninism on the ash-heap of history."
- Ronald Reagan, addressing the British Parliament, 198253
| "In spite of the wildly speculative and false stories of arms for hostages and alleged ransom payments, we did not—repeat, did not—trade weapons or anything else for hostages, nor will we."
- Ronald Reagan, denying the Iran-Contra Affair, November 198654
| "A few months ago, I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me that's true, but the facts and evidence tell me it is not."
- Ronald Reagan, admitting the Iran-Contra Affair, March 198755
| "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
- Ronald Reagan, at the Berlin Wall, 198756
| "I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead."
- Ronald Reagan, announcing his own Alzheimer's Disease, 199457