The Sneetches and Other Stories
The Sneetches and Other Stories The Zax Summary
- Two Zax (Zaxi? Zaxes?) bump into each other in the desert. (No, this isn't the beginning of a bad joke.)
- Here's how it goes down: In Prax, one Zax is heading north and the other south. Natch.
- The two bump right into each other, and they don't look too happy about it.
- The North-Going Zax explains that he always goes north, meaning the other guy's going to have to move.
- The South-Going Zax rebuts that he always makes south-going tracks. So, if anybody is going to move, it's old Northy.
- Cue standoff.
- The North-Going Zax "[puffs] his chest up with pride" (Zax.16). Yeah, he's not moving. In fact, he'll stand there for fifty-nine days.
- The South-Going Zax ups the ante with fifty-nine years.
- Whoa now.
- He says he'll "Never budge!" (Zax.24). Just like they taught him in South-Going School (so prestigious).
- The two of them stand still for so long that a highway is built around them and the world keeps on a-moving.
- Yep, that's the end.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...