Things Fall Apart
by Chinua Achebe
Things Fall Apart Chapter Six Summary
- The village attends the wrestling matches. One boy stands out – Maduka, son of Obierika. He defeats his opponent so quickly that most of the audience couldn’t even see his winning move.
- Between the boys’ and men’s matches, Ekwefi speaks to Chielo, the priestess and voice/oracle of the spirit of Agbala.
- Chielo is good friends with Ekwefi and very fond of Ezinma. Their conversation hints that something threatened Ezinma’s life as a child, but it has since been overcome.
- The wrestling ends with a rematch between Ikezue and Okafo, two men who had fought to a standstill the year before. Just when it seems this year will end with another draw, Ikezue makes a miscalculation out of desperation, and Okafo throws him – much to the crowd’s delight.
- The chapter ends with the villagers singing a song of praise to Okafo.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...