Uncle Tom's Cabin
Cite This Page
Augustine St. Clare Timeline and Summary
- St. Clare buys Tom after he saves Eva.
- St. Clare introduces Miss Ophelia to the plantation and the servants.
- He has many conversations with Miss Ophelia about the problems with slavery, including the fact that he thinks it’s hypocrisy to defend it on religious grounds.
- St. Clare describes his attempts to reform slavery to Miss Ophelia. It frustrated him so much that he left the plantation life. But he didn’t free his slaves – no, he just uses them to help him spend money rather than to help him make money.
- Eva elicits a promise from St. Clare to free Tom when she dies.
- When Eva dies, St. Clare resolves to do something for the poor and lowly. He starts by letting Tom know that he plans to make him a free man.
- That night, St. Clare is wounded in a knife fight at a local pub.
- He repents of his sins and becomes a Christian on his deathbed.
- Then he dies.