Bartleby the Scrivener
by Herman Melville
Bartleby the Scrivener Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why is the Narrator consistently sympathetic to Bartleby? What does this fact tell us about his character?
- What does Bartleby's inaction signify? What might he represent?
- What is the role of the three other office employees – Turkey, Nippers, and Ginger Nut – in the Narrator's story?
- Is there a "hero" in this story? If so, who is it?
- Why, in your opinion, does Bartleby die at the end of the story?