The Black Cat
The Black Cat Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do the use of italics and capital letters help set the tone of the story? If so, how? Would the story have been better or worse without these touches? Check out our discussions of "Tone" and "Writing Style" if this angle interests you.
- Does "The Black Cat" remind you of any other stories you've read, or movies you've seen? What are the similarities, differences?
- Is this story relevant to you, and your life? Why or why not?
- The narrator uses fancy words, some of which we don't hear around much, outside of Poe.
- How do you feel about cats? Did the story change your feelings? If so, how?
- Do you think there are two black cats, or just one?
- Does the story gives any clues as to how or by whom the fire was started? If so, what are they? If not, does this comment on the story as a whole in some significant way?