© 2016 Shmoop University, Inc. All rights reserved.

College 101

Applying for Accommodations
Article Type: Tasty Bits

The folks in charge of the PSAT, SAT, and ACT are aware that some students are faced with challenges and difficulties in the classroom that make test-taking more difficult. They can grant specific accommodations to students with documented need.

That’s a documented learning or physical disability. While you may think that trying to schedule Tough Mudder training around your weekly How I Met Your Mother marathon is challenging, that's not the kind of thing that will qualify you for accommodations during a standardized test.

"Who doesn’t want to bite into one of these?"


What documented needs are we talking about here? If you have ever had a 504 or Individual Education Plan because of a learning challenge, you might be eligible. If you think a 504 is a cleaning spray, then you need to move along. Examples of learning needs include ADD/ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Processing Speed Issues, Math or Writing Disorders, etc.

Accommodations vary based on need, but might include 50 or 100% extra time, large-print exams, small-group settings, and additional or extended breaks. Sorry, free apple fritters are not a potential accommodation.

To apply for accommodations, Get to Know Your High School Counselor, who won’t help you pretend you’re blind or break your kneecaps to give you a physical disability, but who will be able to help you with accommodations you actually need. If you can’t access help at school, have a look at the following websites to access instructions for application: PSAT and SAT, and ACT.

    People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...