The Gift of the Magi
by O. Henry
The Gift of the Magi Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would the story be different it were told from Jim's perspective rather than Della's? Why might O. Henry have chosen to tell the story from Della's perspective?
- Is "Gift of the Magi" a story within a story?
- Do Della and Jim feel real, or do they feel like creations of the narrator to illustrate his point about giving?
- Do you think O. Henry himself is the narrator of the story? Why or why not?
- Is Della and Jim's love believable? Why or why not?
- Put aside all of the "magi" stuff at the end. Do you think the story's ending is a happy one?
- The narrator seems to be out to prove a point with the story. Is it possible to read the story in a way contrary to the way the narrator seems to understand it? How would that be?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...