Hills Like White Elephants
Hills Like White Elephants Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Would you feel differently about the story if the roles of Jig and the man were reversed, that is, if Jig wanted the abortion and the man wanted her to marry him and keep the baby?
- Should the father and mother have equal when it comes to having an abortion? Does the fact that the woman’s body is involved, while the man’s is not, factor into your opinion?
- Could the story be used to support a "pro-life" position? What about a "pro-choice" position?
- Can you think of any other stories or movies that address the issues discussed here? If so, how are they similar or different to "Hills Like White Elephants"?
- Is this story relevant today? We know that the story is set in Spain, but if you didn’t know it was written in 1927, could you place it in a period of history? If so, when?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search