Of Mice and Men
by John Steinbeck
George Milton Timeline and Summary
- George and Lennie spend the night by the Salinas River in northern California. They argue over Lennie's mouse and obsession with soft things, and discuss their dreams of a farm they can own.
- After telling Lennie to come back to this exact spot if he does something "bad," George takes Lennie to the new ranch near Soledad, California.
- At the ranch, George looks out for Lennie, getting him a puppy, telling him to keep his mouth shut, and warning him to fight back if Curley attacks him.
- When news gets out about their plan to buy a farm, he's pretty ticked off.
- George finds out that Lennie has killed Curley's wife, and has a moral crisis when he tries to decide whether to let things play out or give Lennie and clean death.
- He decides on a clean death.
- After stealing Carlson's gun and misdirecting the search party, he heads north to the river and finds Lennie.
- George tells Lennie the story of the dream farm just before shooting him in the back of the head.
- When the other men arrive, George pretends that Lennie had Carlson's gun.
- George goes off for a (very stiff) drink with Slim.