On the Road
by Jack Kerouac
Marylou Timeline and Summary
- Marylou has come east with Dean.
- She comes to New York with Dean, even though he has divorced her and married Camille in San Francisco.
- She, Dean, Ed, and Sal drive furniture to Sal’s brother’s new house.
- She, Dean, Ed, and Sal wash dishes to pay for their food.
- She hits on Sal to make Dean jealous.
- She agrees to have an affair with Sal while Dean watches, and is frustrated when Sal won’t go for it.
- Marylou displays physical bruises from a fight with Dean.
- They all take off for New Orleans.
- She agrees to continue sleeping with Dean once he gets back to Camille in San Francisco.
- Marylou arrives in New Orleans along with Sal, Dean, and Ed.
- She leaves for California with Dean and Sal.
- After some encouragement, she gets naked along with Dean and Sal while they drive.
- She has sex with Dean in the car while Sal sleeps.
- Marylou tries to get Sal to sleep with her one night when Dean is away.
- She talks to Sal about how sad she is.
- She reveals that she can’t really have Dean because he’s "too mad."
- Marylou arrives in San Francisco with Dean and Sal.
- She is angry at Dean for leaving her and Sal without money, a place to stay or food.
- She listens to Sal’s snake visions.
- Marylou ends up sleeping with a sailor or two. Or nine.
- She takes Dean back, sort of.
- She is marries a car salesman, and has an interesting run-in with a very high Dean.
- We find out in a story that she met Dean when she was fifteen.