Schools & Districts
All of Shmoop
Cite This Page
iOS Learning Guide
Kindle: Learning Guide
Nook: Learning Guide
On the Road
On the Road
Best of the Web
Table of Contents
AP English Language
AP English Literature
SAT Test Prep
ACT Exam Prep
Search for Colleges
What you want to study:
AGRICULTURE, AGRICULTURE OPERATIONS, AND RELATED SCIENCES
ARCHITECTURE AND RELATED SERVICES
AREA, ETHNIC, CULTURAL, AND GENDER STUDIES
BIOLOGICAL AND BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
BUSINESS, MANAGEMENT, MARKETING, AND RELATED SUPPORT SERVICES
COMMUNICATION, JOURNALISM, AND RELATED PROGRAMS
COMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES/TECHNICIANS AND SUPPORT SERVICES
COMPUTER AND INFORMATION SCIENCES AND SUPPORT SERVICES
ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE/LETTERS
FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCES/HUMAN SCIENCES
FOREIGN LANGUAGES, LITERATURES, AND LINGUISTICS
HEALTH PROFESSIONS AND RELATED CLINICAL SCIENCES
HEALTH-RELATED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
HIGH SCHOOL/SECONDARY DIPLOMAS AND CERTIFICATES
INTERPERSONAL AND SOCIAL SKILLS
LEGAL PROFESSIONS AND STUDIES
LEISURE AND RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES, GENERAL STUDIES AND HUMANITIES
MATHEMATICS AND STATISTICS
MECHANIC AND REPAIR TECHNOLOGIES/TECHNICIANS
NATURAL RESOURCES AND CONSERVATION
PARKS, RECREATION, LEISURE, AND FITNESS STUDIES
PERSONAL AND CULINARY SERVICES
PERSONAL AWARENESS AND SELF-IMPROVEMENT
PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGIOUS STUDIES
PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION AND SOCIAL SERVICE PROFESSIONS
RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS (JROTC, ROTC)
SECURITY AND PROTECTIVE SERVICES
TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION/INDUSTRIAL ARTS
THEOLOGY AND RELIGIOUS VOCATIONS
TRANSPORTATION AND MATERIALS MOVING
VISUAL AND PERFORMING ARTS
District Of Columbia
Search for Colleges
On the Road Analysis
Literary Devices in On the Road
Symbolism, Imagery, Allegory
Dean and Sal drive a Cadillac across country to Chicago. Or rather, they start with a Cadillac, and they end up with a big hunk of destroyed metal. What destroys this car, you ask? Primarily, it...
To discuss the "setting" of On the Road is interesting and informative about just what’s going on in this text. Sal is restlessness, right? He keeps needing to move, to go somewhere else R...
Narrator Point of View
We see the story through the eyes of Sal Paradise, the character who is supposed to mirror Jack Kerouac himself. What’s interesting is the other main character, Dean Moriarty. Sal is, to a de...
On the Road can’t really be categorized as tragedy or comedy or any of your normal genre subdivisions. "Frantic-poetry-like-tale," perhaps, but we couldn’t find that section in Barnes a...
It’s pretty amazing how a book that’s so much fun to read ends up making you want to sit in a beach and stare into the water and contemplate the subtleties of your life. Which is what i...
And we're not just calling it that because a lot of On the Road takes place in cars. More than most, Jack Kerouac was famous for crystalizing the Beat style of writing with his work. What's the Bea...
What’s Up With the Title?
Main character Sal Paradise spends about, oh, let’s see…99.9% of his time traveling on the road. And the other 0.1% of the time he’s wishing he could be on the road. On the surfac...
On the Road is famous for not following a standard plot. In fact, it’s famous for doing a horrible job at being a novel, in the plot sense of what a novel should be. This may have something t...
Booker’s Seven Basic Plots Analysis: Voyage and Return
This novel doesn't quite fit the Booker framework because it's more like Voyage and Return, and voyage. And return. And then voyage, return, followed by some voyage, and remarkably, a return.
Three Act Plot Analysis
The Sal and Dean saga begins, with idolatry in Denver, followed by some time with Remi Boncoeur in San Francisco, and some Terry goings-on thrown in for good measure.The second cross country trip,...
Jack Kerouac modeled Sal Paradise after himself. It kind of makes sense now that you think about that whole first-person narrator business.Dean Moriarty is modeled after Neal Cassady. Well who was...
Oh, let’s see: there was sex with Marylou, Camille, Inez, Terry, hanky-panky with the girl on the bus, that other girl on the bus, the one from the bus station, Beverly the waitress, the girl...
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes (Dean’s last name, ‘Moriarty’).Karl Marx (Carlo’s name)Frederick Nietzsche (I.1.1, II.3.11)Arthur Schopenhauer (I.1.7)Johann Wolfgang...
Need help with College?
© 2013 Shmoop University, Inc. All rights reserved. We love your brain and respect your privacy. |
© 2013 Shmoop University, Inc. All rights reserved. We love your brain and respect your privacy.