The Phantom Tollbooth
The Phantom Tollbooth Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Why was Milo so quick to get in the car and pass through the Tollbooth? Do you think he was being foolish or just adventurous?
- Why is it so important to rescue Rhyme and Reason? What would've happened – to Milo and to Wisdom – If they were never rescued?
- Does The Phantom Tollbooth remind you of any other books you've read? If so, why? And if not, what makes it unique?
- Is Milo a well-developed character? Is he a typical hero? Or is he just a stand-in for us as readers, who need to open up our minds to a world of learning and imagination?
- What's your favorite pun in The Phantom Tollbooth? Why do you think the author uses so many puns anyway?
- Why does Norton Juster focus on language and math. What about literature? What about sciences? And hey, what about recess?
- If you could buy words, what words would you choose, and why? And how do you think those words would taste?
- Which part of the Lands Beyond would you most like to visit? Which would you most like to avoid? Why?
- Do you agree with Adam Gopnik that learning is the "real subject" of The Phantom Tollbooth AND all classic kids' books? (Source.)