by Gerard Manley Hopkins
Pied Beauty Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- What other "dappled things" in the world would you want to praise?
- Hopkins loved to invent new words, especially by using hyphens between two shorter words. Try coming up with your own new words.
- If God is the ultimate good, and God is "past change," then why does Hopkins praise things that change and might therefore seem "impure"?
- What political connections do you think this poem could have? Does it seem relevant to the contemporary topic of diversity?
- How does the poem's rhythm express the virtues of being "dappled" or spotted?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...