Cite This Page
Henry Higgins Timeline and Summary
- A bystander tells The Flower Girl (Eliza) that a man (Higgins) is writing down everything she says.
- Higgins, here called The Note Taker, steps forward and reveals himself. He goes on to tell Eliza to shut up and stop making a commotion.
- Instead of explaining himself, he correctly guesses where a number of people in the crowd come from just by listening to them.
- Higgins explains to the gentleman that he can perform his trick because he has studied phonetics, that phonetics is his profession.
- He tells the flower girl to shut up and stop butchering the English language.
- Higgins tells the Gentleman that he could turn the Flower Girl into a duchess in six months' time.
- He introduces himself to Colonel Pickering. They agree to go have dinner.
- Higgins gives Eliza some money out of pity.
- Higgins agrees to teach Eliza after Pickering bets he can't turn her into a duchess.
- He bosses Eliza around.
- Higgins doesn't pay attention to Mrs. Pearce's advice.
- He pays Eliza's father, Alfred Doolittle, five pounds in order to keep him from taking back his daughter.
- Higgins is amazed when he sees how beautiful Eliza is when she's cleaned up.
- He gets ready for a tough task.
- Higgins asks his mother to help with his experiment.
- He doesn't listen to his mother when she says no.
- Higgins tells his mother that he's bringing Eliza to her party.
- He tells his mother he has no interest in women.
- Higgins guides Eliza into the party.
- He signals for her to leave when things get out of hand.
- Higgins tells his mother how wonderful Eliza is.
- He ignores his mother's advice.
- Higgins wins the bet.
- He fails to congratulate Eliza for helping him win the bet.
- Higgins talks about how boring the bet was.
- Higgins has a shoe thrown at him by Eliza.
- He gets angry.
- Higgins nearly hits Eliza.
- He goes to bed.
- Higgins shows up at his mother's apartment looking for Eliza.
- He can't do anything without her.
- Higgins argues with his mother.
- Higgins is interrupted by Doolittle.
- He is blamed for ruining Doolittle's life.
- Higgins is flabbergasted when Eliza emerges from upstairs looking confident.
- He doesn't allow Doolittle to take custody of Eliza.
- He argues with Eliza.
- Higgins suggests Eliza get married.
- Higgins gets angry when Eliza threatens to marry Freddy and/or go into business competition with Higgins.
- He nearly strangles Eliza.
- Higgins proclaims that she is no his equal.
- He asks her to stay.
- Higgins is confident that she will return even after she turns him down.