The Return of Chorb Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How does the narrative disrupt the normal flow of time? What is the effect of this technique?
- Which characters are you sympathetic towards when you read? What about the prostitute? The lackey?
- We talk a bit about the eerie and macabre tone of "The Return of Chorb," but does it also seem comic at times? What about that whole poodle/playbill incident? Is the story self-mocking, or just plain sinister?
- Did you read the rest of Details of a Sunset and Other Stories yet? Good, then you can talk about what themes you see reflected throughout the collection.
- What do you think about Nabokov’s using the Parsifal opera and the Orpheus myth as cornerstones of "Chorb"? Is this an interesting technique, or just a little over the top?
Next Page: Quizzes
Previous Page: Analysis