The Taming of the Shrew
The Taming of the Shrew Act 3, Scene 1 Summary
- At Baptista's place, Hortensio (as Licio) and Lucentio (as Cambio) bicker over who gets to tutor Bianca first. Bianca interjects and tells the men that she, not them, decides when, what, and how she will learn. Licio will tune his instrument while Cambio finishes his Latin language lesson.
- During the Latin lesson, Lucentio (as Cambio) reads from a Latin text and pretends to translate the words into English. He reveals (apparently, not for the first time) his true identity and his plan to win Bianca.
- Instead of telling on Lucentio, Bianca plays coy and says she can't promise him anything because she doesn't yet trust him.
- Hortensio (as Licio) takes over and begins his fake music lesson. He gives Bianca a love letter (disguised as a set of music instructions) while Lucentio (as Cambio) watches and worries that Bianca will like the music tutor instead of him.
- A messenger arrives with news that Bianca has to help Kate prepare for the wedding, so she leaves.