Transcontinental Railroad Quotes
They Said It
| "The one moral, the one remedy for every evil, social, political, financial, and industrial, the one immediate vital need of the entire Republic, is the Pacific Railroad."
- Rocky Mountain News, 186627
| "How dare you try to hog all the continent!"
- Collis Huntington to "Doc" Durant in 186228
| "The more we can kill this year the less will have to be killed the next year, for the more I see of these Indians the more convinced I am that they all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers."
- Gen. William T. Sherman on the Plains Indians29
| "They built the Great Wall of China, didn't they?"
- Charles Crocker's famous justification for bringing Chinese workers to the Central Pacific, 186530
| "At North Platte, they were having a good time gambling, drinking, and shooting at each other."
- Maj. Henry C. Parry on the denizens of the first Hell on Wheels town, 186631
| "The road must be built, and you are the man to do it. Take hold of it yourself. By building the Union Pacific, you will be the remembered man of your generation."
- President Abraham Lincoln to Oakes Ames, 186532
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...