Lucky Timeline and Summary
- Lucky enters the stage on a long leash and weighed down with Pozzo’s possessions.
- As Pozzo orders him about, Lucky silently complies and moves where commanded.
- Much to Estragon’s confusion, Lucky doesn’t put the bags down.
- Lucky follows Pozzo’s orders to set up the stool and hand him the picnic basket.
- Lucky stands but stoops close to the floor; he falls asleep on his feet.
- Pozzo yells for Lucky to pack away his bottle, which Lucky does immediately.
- Lucky makes no expression and gives no response when Estragon asks him for the chicken bones.
- When Pozzo remarks that Lucky would be better off killed than abandoned, Lucky weeps.
- Estragon tries to wipe his tears away (at Pozzo’s suggestion), but Lucky violently kicks Estragon in the shins.
- Upon command, Lucky begins to dance and then stops. He starts to dance again in encore.
- Pozzo commands him to think, but he is unable to do so until Vladimir places the bowler on his head, at which point he gives his long and garbled speech.
- Vladimir takes off Lucky’s hat at Pozzo’s command, and Lucky falls silent again.
- He also falls over; the men help him up repeatedly until he successfully stands on his own.
- Pozzo cracks his whip and Lucky begins to walk; both men leave the stage.
- In Act 2, Lucky reenters with Pozzo. Lucky has a new hat and is on a shorter leash this time, presumably because Pozzo is blind and needs closer guidance.
- Lucky falls asleep; Estragon beats him to wake him up.
- Pozzo reports that Lucky cannot think today, since he’s gone dumb (as in mute).
- Lucky exits with Pozzo, and the noise of the two men falling again can be heard from offstage.