Yet Do I Marvel
Analysis: Calling Card
How do we know this sonnet is by Cullen? Let us Countee the ways:
- His poems are often written in traditional poetic forms (in this case, a sonnet).
- His poems often reference the major literary canon of both America and Europe.
- He's all-lyric, all the time.
- His poems are often intellectual meditations that grapple with issues of race, heritage, God and art.
- He likes to mix universal themes with themes about race in America and cooks up incredibly sophisticated poems that appeal to everyone. His poems are sort of like a high-end buffet, where everyone can find something to sink their teeth into, regardless of their race or religious background. So eat up.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search