Aunt Jennifer's Tigers
Aunt Jennifer's Tigers Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- How would you describe the relationship between Aunt Jennifer and the tigers?
- How would you describe the relationship between Aunt Jennifer and "Uncle"?
- Do you see any connections between the poem's use of couplets and its content?
- The two major symbols of the poem are the tigers and the wedding band. What is the relationship between them? Do these symbols operate similarly in the poem?
- Are Aunt Jennifer's struggles due specifically to her relationship with her husband, or more generally to the patriarchal culture in which she lives? Is it even possible to make this distinction?
- This poem was written over 60 years ago. Do you think that a poet would write a similar poem today? Have the issues like equality for women changed since the 1950s?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...