The Cherry Orchard
The Cherry Orchard Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Does Chekhov's meandering structure support the themes he's trying to express? Detract from them?
- If you had to side with the philosophies of Lubov, Lopakhin, or Trofimov, which would it be?
- Do you think this play punishes Lubov and Gaev for living high on the labor of serfs? How might audience members of different backgrounds view this play differently?
- Which character(s) do you think presents Chekhov's perspective?
- Can you think of contemporary situations that have conflicts similar to those in The Cherry Orchard?
- What do you think: is The Cherry Orchard a comedy or a tragedy? If you were directing the play, how would you make your choice clear?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search